Bigs On Campus - A Western University Group
Deciding what to do after high school can be overwhelming. Bigs on Campus is here to help make the journey less intimidating and more fun!
Bigs on Campus is a Western University group run by Western students in collaboration with Big Brothers Big Sisters of London & Area that provides programming to our mentees (ages 13 and up), both in one to one matches and awaiting a match.
These Western University students are a group of fun and positive role models that believe access to education is important for all young people. Bigs on Campus hosts events on campus throughout the school year for mentees ages 13 and up.
Past events have included campus tours and resume writing workshops, and upcoming events include sporting events and music workshops. Matches with mentees are encouraged to attend together, to have fun on campus, as well as learn about post-secondary education and how to apply to university and college.
Unmatched mentees ages 13 and up are also encouraged to join and attend events. Unmatched teen mentees will be matched at Bigs on Campus events with a screened and trained university student who will be their mentor for the day.
- Bigs on Campus mentors need to sign up to become a mentor on the BBBSOL website, as well as complete a criminal record check before attending our events
- Western University students can apply to become part of the executive planning team. Applications typically go out late August until mid-September and will be posted on the Facebook page
In addition, Bigs on Campus is pleased to offer small scholarships to selected mentees who participate in Bigs on Campus events. The scholarships are awarded on random draw, at the end of the school year. Every time a mentee attends an event, they will have their name entered in the draw.
What do mentees learn at Bigs on Campus events?
- What university life has to offer
- How to make post-secondary goals a reality
- How to start planning for life after high school
- Practical skills like resume writing and interview techniques
- How to balance academic life and fun!
Bigs on Campus is also happy to offer free proof reading of papers and assignments of mentees in our program. Mentees can submit their work to gmail.com and will receive a response with notes, suggestions and ideas from a Bigs on Campus university student.